Frequently Asked Questions
Considerations Before Filing a Trademark Application
- What is a Trademark?
- What qualifies for trademark protection?
- Who can apply for a trademark?
- Should I register my mark?
- Do I have to register my trademark?
- What are common law trademark rights?
- When can I use ®, ™ and SM?
- What is the difference between trademarks, copyrights and patents?
- Is there any copyright protection of my mark?
Managing Your Trademark Case
- Trademark Application Process & Timeline
- How long does it take to prepare a trademark application through Trademark Island LLC?
- What happens after my trademark application is filed?
- How can I check the status of my pending trademark application?
- Who will manage correspondence received from the U.S. Patent and Trademark office during the application process?
Maintaining Your Trademark Rights
- Will registration protect my mark overseas?
- If I stop using my mark, will it be cancelled?
- How long do trademark rights last?
- What are Affidavits of Continued Use or Excusable Nonuse/Applications for Renewal?
- What is a Section 9 Application for Renewal?
- What is a Section 15 Declaration of Incontestability?
- Are there any maintenance fees associated with registered trademarks?
- Trademark Services Price List
- Who charges my credit card when I apply to register my trademark?
- When is my credit card charged?
- Can I get a refund?